The Accounting Manager is responsible for managing and performing all aspects of the accounting cycle, including budgeting, cash flow forecasting, internal financial reporting, accounts payable and receivable, audit preparation and external financial reporting. Supporting the work of the CFO and support to our organizational initiatives round out the position.
Your Day-to-day Responsibilities:
- Manage/execute accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll processing and general ledger and cash transactions both in QuickBooks and with payroll providers.
- Maintain the payroll management system, ensuring that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner, processing and submitting statutory and benefits remittances on a timely basis.
- Run a timely and accurate monthly close process with appropriate internal controls.
- Produce consolidated financial statements and a complete financial package every month, quarter and year-end.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, annual and ad-hoc financial reports including forecasts and cash flow projections.
- Lead the preparation of the annual budget along with the Director of Corporate Services.
- Monitor progress on financial objectives and key performance indicators, review the timing of schedule expenditure, analyze variables, and suggest corrective actions when required. Interaction with the business domains (departments) will be critical.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of current accounting practices and relevant legislation.
- 12+ experience in accounting in a mid-sized organization. Experience in a professional services organization is nice to have. Of the 12+ years, at least 5+ years running a finance department complete with a month-end close, year-end close and audit and associated reporting.
- Chartered Accountant or CPA is desirable.
- Proficient in the use of QuickBooks, ideally Intacct Sage (or equivalent), Excel, ADP (or equivalent), Concur, tableau, Power BI or equivalent
- Skilled in the use of data analysis and reporting tools including advanced report design.
- Proficient in the technology required to work in a virtual environment.
What You Offer:
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to prioritize work and to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated initiative, tact and judgement in interactions with employees, vendors and stakeholders.
- Ability to think strategically and operationalize plans; good analytical skills as well as solid business acumen.
- Proactivity with proven ability to work independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively and in a cross-functional environment with colleagues in Canada and the United States.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively to meet tight and shifting deadlines.
What We Offer in Return:
- The chance to be an early joiner in a young company that’s rapidly growing into a unique position where we can enable real progressive change in the world.
- A work environment where you can be your whole and honest self. We don’t believe in hiring for culture “fit.” We’re more interested in how you will add to our existing culture and help shape our future.
- We encourage and incentivize all employees to seek professional development opportunities that support their learning and growth.
- A generous annual allowance is provided to all employees in order to create and maintain a safe and comfortable workspace.
- We believe all systems require rest, including our organization. Therefore, we go offline for two weeks in December/January of each year, during which employees continue to receive their salary. Each employee also earns three weeks of paid time off per year and paid personal days to use as they see fit.
- We offer all employees extended health benefits, including an EAP and a Wellness Spending Account.
We believe in creating an accessible and inclusive interview experience. Please let us know if there are any adjustments we can make to assist you during the interview process.