Reporting to the Director of Strategic Pursuits, the Proposal Writer will take the lead on grant applications (and write other proposals and RFP responses).
You are a self-professed perfectionist that appreciates rules and boundaries, yet is deeply creatively inspired by the art of and strategy behind storytelling. You love to win, understanding that delivering proposals that articulate a clear vision and demonstrate an alignment of shared values is critical to our success. You want to be part of generating great opportunities for the entire organization, and are able to lead revenue generating processes with minimal oversight.
Your Day-to-Day Responsibilities:
Opportunity Screening / Evaluation
- Monitor sources of RFPs and proposals to identify right-fit opportunities. Provide “go/no-go” recommendations.
- Review approved RFPs to flag all critical components; create opportunity summaries and workback schedules; content requirements, submission checklists and other supporting documentation.
- Participate in identifying the unique benefits and specific value proposition Coeuraj offers each potential client.
- Plan, organize and direct all elements of proposal responses, including evaluating requirements, organizing kick-off meetings, developing timelines and accountabilities as per deadlines, managing procurement Q&A and addenda, completing forms and appendices, managing tender platform accounts.
- Delegate, edit, and integrate content contributions from design, project managers and other functions.
- Find, select, assemble and edit existing boilerplate and other brand content. Develop original writing, additional research, and other strategic input.
- Work closely with practitioners across the organization to translate processes into compelling messages and diagrams that convey a unique value proposition.
- Assume full responsibility for delivering proposals on time, on brand, and with the expected impact.
- Actively manage our CRM (Salesforce) and content libraries.
- Track award opportunities and assist with kickoff and onboarding processes.
- Track won standing offers and assist with follow-ups.
- Communicate and collaborate with Communications and Business Development teams located across North America.
- Ensure strong communication flows between the proposal, sales, finance, and delivery teams.
What You Offer:
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in scanning, reading and interpreting the technical requirements of RFPs. A strong research aptitude and an appetite to stay on top of opportunities being tendered through online platforms.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in writing, copy editing and submitting proposals — particularly grant applications, or in the non-profit/Foundation space.
- A relevant educational background in business, technical writing, marketing, or another field.
- An exemplary storyteller with strong writing and editing skills; you’re able to support a diversity of writers through the process of developing clear and compelling content, from ideation to execution. You have perfect grammar and spelling, and an eye for document design.
- A digital-savvy skill set with experience working with Hubspot, Salesforce or other similar CRM platforms.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office, including the ability to create and modify style sheets in PowerPoint and Word. InDesign or InCopy an asset.
- A quick study and self-starter able work with little day-to-day supervision.
- French/English bilingualism is an asset, but not required.
- Experience with provincial/state and federal tender platforms is an asset, but specific experience with any one platform is not required. Bid platforms vary widely and we are interested in learning how different applicants have pursued opportunities in their proposal practice.
- APMP membership, designation (or willingness to obtain professional accreditation) is considered an asset.
To Succeed in This Role You Should Also:
- Have a large capacity for empathy and possess an ‘always learning’ mindset. If you don’t know something, you dig around and try to learn about it on your own. If you hold knowledge that others around you do not, you’re proactive in sharing and patient in your delivery.
- Be a critical thinker that can see connections between people, problems, and opportunities and suggest improvements when appropriate. You know when to ‘trust the process’ and when to do things differently to reach successful outcomes.
- Be a committed team player and relationship-builder who can positively collaborate across different teams and roles.
- Be deeply detail-oriented and display a high degree of organizational skills.
- Have the capacity to manage multiple disparate projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively and proactively with a wide range of professionals at every level of the organization.
- Have a connection to or an interest in the work Coeuraj does and the impact it enables for its clients — such as sustainability or the environment. Our team in Canada is heavily engaged in work that relates to Indigenous reconciliation. In the United States, we pursue grant-based opportunities related to education, social justice and community development.
What We Offer:
- The chance to be an early-joiner in a young company that’s rapidly growing its capacity to enable change.
- A work environment where you can be your whole and honest self. We’re interested in how you will add to our existing culture and help shape our future.
- A generous annual allowance for staff to use to create and maintain a safe and comfortable workspace at home.
- The encouragement and incentive for all staff to seek professional development opportunities that support their learning and growth.
- A flexible time-off policy that allows all staff members to take the time off they need, alongside a company-wide 2 week paid closure at the end of December.
- Extended health benefits, including a wellness spending account and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
At Coeuraj, we support people, organizations, and groups to collaboratively solve their challenges—and tackle the complex, global problems humanity faces today. The Coeuraj Canada team combines world-class designers, facilitators, researchers, and data scientists with a suite of advisors who know the ins and outs of the complex systems we operate in and the diverse communities we work with.
Coeuraj’s Core Values:
Each member of our team exemplifies our values. As a collective, we hold ourselves accountable to these values and the guidance they provide during times of uncertainty, difficulty, and opportunity.
Our values are:
- Courage to embrace transformation and the discomfort that comes with it.
- Honesty to do and say what's needed to reach the right solution.
- Fortitude to stay the course and remain true to the purpose of the work.
In short, we value the courage, honesty, and fortitude it takes to constantly ask: How can we do better for ourselves and for those around us?
This is a remote position based out of Canada. We welcome candidates located anywhere in Canada.
Coeuraj is committed to cultivating an inclusive and diverse organization and encourages anyone interested in the work we do to apply. We believe in creating an accessible and inclusive interview experience. Please let us know if there are any adjustments we can make to assist you during the interview process.
In your Cover Letter please share the two most important strategies you have developed for ensuring a winning proposal.
Due to the high number of applicants, we’ll only be contacting shortlisted candidates, but thank in advance all those who apply.