The Research Analyst will play a central role in providing transformative insights and actionable recommendations to support clients and Watershed’s team of process designers, facilitators, and consultants. The successful candidate will work closely with other researchers to develop and implement an innovative approach to research that combines methodological rigour with design tools and systems thinking. The work will involve gathering data and information from a wide variety of policy and academic literature, legal proceedings, government reports, and thought leadership. The central objective of this research program is not only to understand a problem and a potential solution but to understand the system it occupies. This position will require creativity and a willingness to experiment, in addition to exceptional critical thinking and analytical skills. As such, it is a role well suited to someone curious and always willing to learn new things, in addition to wanting to contribute to a team tackling some of the most complex problems in Canada and around the world.
Your Day-to-day Responsibilities:
- Conducting extensive secondary research, desktop research, and quantitative synthesis reviews of assigned policy topics, industries, and socio-cultural systems of interest.
- Working with Watershed’s team of policy and political experts and available literature resources to provide a holistic understanding of our work’s social, political, legal, and cultural context.
- Supporting our process designers and consultants with information and insights gained from research and work to transform these insights into actionable solutions.
- Leading the writing and design of research products from internal and external clients such as research reports, literature reviews, policy analyses, and systems dossiers.
- Creating compelling presentations that summarize research findings and recommendations in a well-crafted narrative and within tight timelines.
- Supporting primary research activities using survey, interview, and participatory research methods.
- Maintaining high-quality standards and rigour related to prescribed research methodology and processes.
- Managing citations and help curate a repository of research sources using appropriate tools.
- Using design and systems thinking frameworks to analyze, synthesize, compare and contrast research findings.
- Post-graduate degree in science, social science, public policy, Indigenous studies, or related discipline, or a Bachelor’s degree with a significant research component.
- 3-5 years experience in a related research role. Professional experience is preferred, but academic research contributing to coursework or a graduate-level thesis will also be considered.
- Demonstrable experience in secondary research and systematic literature reviews.
What You Offer:
- Strong analytical, research, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to accuracy and thoroughness.
- Understanding of research review methodologies and willingness to develop and follow processes to ensure transparent conduct of research.
- A demonstrated ability to think critically, solve problems, and develop a narrative based on data and verifiable research findings.
- Experience with the development of research and measurement frameworks based on clearly defined objectives, using a systemic approach.
- Proactivity with proven ability to work independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively and in a cross-functional environment with colleagues in Canada and the United States.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively to meet tight and shifting deadlines.
What We Offer In Return:
- The chance to be an early joiner in a young company that’s rapidly growing into a unique position where we can enable real progressive change in the world.
- A work environment where you can be your whole and honest self. We don’t believe in hiring for culture “fit.” We’re more interested in how you will add to our existing culture and help shape our future.
- We encourage and incentivize all employees to seek professional development opportunities that support their learning and growth.
- A generous annual allowance is provided to all employees in order to create and maintain a safe and comfortable workspace.
- We believe all systems require rest, including our organization. Therefore, we go offline for two weeks in December/January of each year, during which employees continue to receive their salary. Each employee also earns three weeks of paid time off per year and paid personal days to use as they see fit.
- We offer all employees extended health benefits, including an EAP and a Wellness Spending Account.
Watershed is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.